T-Shirt Design

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I'm not vein enough

So I had this plan about telling how easy the platelet donation process is, and how you can just walk in and after a movie, you walk out, but my veins aren't big enough. You have to have big enough veins for the needle so that when the machine collects the platelets, it can put the blood back. But what I did see was awesome. The chairs are really comfy, and they have a long list of DVDs that you can watch while the apheresis machine whirs softly in the background. (They even had The Goonies. "I can't tell... if it's an "A sharp" or if it's a "B flat"! ) There's a blanket warmer, so when you get a blanket, it's like it just came out of the dryer (one of my favorite things.) And if you want to ride MARTA, you can get off at the Northside station, and it's right across the street. If you are like everyone else in Atlanta and will drive, Atlanta Blood Services validates your parking.

I was able to give blood, and I got a t-shirt, a bottle of Gatorade, and peanut butter crackers. Cassandra, my nurse, was wonderful. I have been told that I am a hard stick, and she did a wonderful job of finding a vein, and in about five minutes, I had a unit of blood going towards Troy. If you have done the platelet donation, leave a comment about how easy it was and how everyone who can do it should. (I'm jealous of you and your big, easy-to-find veins.)

On the news from Troy front, he is at the stage of his chemotherapy when mouth sores are appearing. They have progressed down his GI tract, so he has been admitted to Northside for IV medications and fluids to help get them under control. It is transplant day 7, and this is a common occurrence. He's understandably a little bit down about being back in the hospital, but his doctor has told him that the next two to three days should be much better.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I gave platelets and plasma! It was super cool. It took about 2.5 hours (but I had some sort of siren that kept going off)...they said it normally would take me 73 minutes. I got to watch a movie (Employee of the Month) and got some snacks too! I would do it again in a second. They are very nice there and take good care of you. When I was finished, I walked out and went about my day! A trivia question for those that go out and do it: What color are your platelets??

Unknown said...

It kills me that we can't donate...stupid rules. Please know that we love you Troy and would donate if we could!