T-Shirt Design

Monday, October 15, 2007

Oct. 15 - Many Thanks

I think it would be safe to say that Troy had a painful day today. He had another 4-hour dialysis session in which he was sitting up the entire time. This somehow hurt his lower back and caused him a lot of pain later this evening. Again, this seems to be part of the "good day, bad day" trend. He doesn't have dialysis tomorrow, so hopefully he will be feeling better (a.k.a. it would probably be a good day to visit).

His white blood cell count is beginning to lower, which is a sign the chemo is working. This will eventually progress to the point where he will be very susceptible to infection and will probably unfold over the next week or two. I am told this is a natural occurrence - so it is not as bad as it sounds.

However, it means that he will have to restrict any plants or fruits in his environment as well as germs. So, please do not bring any flowers, plants, or fresh fruit because we will eventually have to remove them. Also, please be extremely mindful of your own health. As much as you want to see him, or as much as he would want to see you - check your sniffles at the door.

I know I sound like a broken record, but he hopes to be out of here soon - I would say the date, but I don't want to jinx it!

Finally, on behalf of Troy, his family, and myself, I would like to thank the Pinckneyville and Norcross communities for their generous financial support. I think I speak for Troy in saying, "You really shouldn't have done that." I am completely amazed by your generosity and know Troy has been profoundly touched by all of your support over the past two weeks. As Troy would say, "You guys are awesome!" Many, Many, Many thanks for all that you done and continue to do for him.

Sincerely,
Todd
p.s. It is sometimes difficult to write this blog because I want to make sure you all get good information, and I want to protect his health and recovery as best I can. So please, do not take offense or think I am "short" because of the restrictions I post here. I am just trying to follow the doctor's (or mother's) orders and attempting to do what I hope is best for Troy. I guess you could always write me hate mail if you needed - I can handle it (HAHA)!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

No hate mail for you Todd, ever. I think all of Troy's friends would agree that we appreciate you taking care of our boy. Thank you so much for keeping us updated. Per the germ rule and being the mother of a toddler I haven't been up to visit yet but we all are thinking of Troy, and you all, daily. Make sure you take care of yourself and momma too! Troy is going to need you all strong and healthy when he gets home.

Lots of love and hugs for you all!
Christy, Michael and Katie McCarthy

Unknown said...

Despite the pain in his back, Troy was in good spirits when I saw him around 8 PM...we were cuttin' up, joking around, so that was nice to see. He fell asleep soon after; apparently the dialysis wiped him out. The prayers are working and the support for him is SO awesome!! KUDOS to Troy's family, Todd, Helen, and countless others for being there for him!!

Chris said...

I have not picked up on your being short at all. I don't think I would be able to blog all this daily if I were in your shoes. Speaking as someone across the country who can't come visit... Thank you for taking the time to keep us up to date. We are all cheering for a speedy recovery. Again... Thank you.

--Chris

Doodah6 said...

Thank you so much for the updates on Troy! He is a very special person. He got my daughter interested in music at P'ville, and she ended up being a drum major at Norcross last year! Our thoughts & prayers are with him daily. He has touched so many of us in such a positive way. We Norcross folks don't give up easily, so he'll have to put up with our continued support!! :) Hugs to Troy & his family...and to you, Todd, for keeping us all in the loop!

Judy (and Lindsay) Sternad

Russell said...

I agree with Chris; I have not picked up anything "short" at all.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Our best to Troy!

Anonymous said...

Todd,
Two of my girls went through the wonderful teaching of Troy - they are both in band still, one at PMS and one at Norcross - such inspiration ..... so ...be protective of our man! You are so right to be concerned with all and any potential contaminants, flowers, food and especially people!!!! Troy's interest and safely come first!! Keep up the good work and wash, wash, wash - everything!

Thanks so much for the detailed updates! Strength to you too!

Andrea K., Medical Technologist/Microbiologist